Monday, September 15, 2008

Conquering a Lack of Motivation

Do you ever find yourself just not wanting to work?

Few people understand what an issue this can be for work at home people. There's no one who will be mad at me if I slack off a little. No one is hanging over my shoulder demanding that I stop blogging and get back to work immediately. This is one of the main reasons I work at home, but it leaves me with only self discipline as a driving force. And the problem with self discipline is that it comes and goes. Here are my secrets to getting motivated and getting back to work.

1. Switch to a different activity. I usually have several writing gigs at anytime. If I start getting tired of one, I can switch to another, stay productive, and feel re-engaged in my work.

2. Reward yourself. Tell yourself, after I finish this paragraph I am going to take a break. Or get more coffee. Whatever motivated you, use that as a reward the same way a good supervisor would.

3. Take a break to pay bills or balance your checkbook. This can be a wake up call. Suddenly you realize that you urgently need money, and that boring job sounds like a fun way to spend the afternoon.

4. Reduce distractions. This is most important (and next to impossible) for those of us with children at home while we are trying to work.

Happy writing!

1 comment:

Seveyka said...

I'm too distracted to post on my blog these days. I'll try to get some more up. I have loads of pics that I've been posting 4 friends, but I haven't had time (playing too much) to add any new ones to the blog. Maybe you'll motivate me here to do so.